Tuesday 3 July, 2007

eways coordinates

Here I am sharing, how I have used the cam studio software in my math teaching. I have prepared a lesson plan on the chapter plotting coordinates of points on a graph paper. This topic is introduced for the first time in class IX. The students are not so comfortable in plotting points correctly on a graph paper. They normally commit mistakes while plotting the points and labeling even correct axes. This was bothering me, so I tried a new strategy for teaching this concept to the students. I used open source software Geogebra and created a video lesson using Cam studio. The complete activity was as follows
10 Points were generated on the x-axis and by observing the readings of the coordinates generated, the students quickly answered the coordinates of any general point on the x-axis is (x, 0)
10 Points were generated on y-axis and by observing the readings of the coordinates generated; the students were able to tell the coordinates of any general point on the y-axis.
10 Points were generated in the I quadrant and the students noted their coordinates and visualizing them they noted the observation of any general point in the first quadrant is (x, y)
Similarly points were generated in the remaining three quadrants to note the coordinates of any general point in the remaining 3 quadrants.
This is how I introduced this concept to my students.
Then I gave them the assignment based on the activity.
During the lesson, the whole class was attentive, because their attention was captured by the activity running on the screen. Few of my students have downloaded Geogebra at home, to explore more.

No comments:

 

Apture